Monday, June 15, 2009

Something New?

I got an email today from the running club I belong to asking for volunteers to help out at the weekly summer track series. This series lasts for six weeks and is mostly for kids, but they also have heats for adults. My plan is to show up tomorrow night to volunteer and see if I can also run the mile. I have never run a mile for time on a track, and I am very curious to see what kind of time I'll run. It'll be hot (probably close to 90 degrees), but I have two goals. The first is to see if I can run a mile in under nine minutes. The second is to approach my puke threshold. (I got the idea for my second goal from Helen) My pace for a 5k is similar to my pace for a marathon, I find it very difficult to push myself above my anaerobic threshold. I've explored the dark side of ultras, now its time to explore the world of speed (or at least my version of it). Will I achieve either one of my goals? Tune in tomorrow night.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

good luck!

chris mcpeake said...

good luck remember if you hit your puke threshold to turn into the center of the track and not back across the other lanes. Nobody likes to run through that .. lol

Jess said...

I haven't run a mile on a track since high school.

Good luck with it!

David Ray said...

This should be fun. Running a hard mile can hurt bad but it's over quick. :)

Ms. V. said...

Volunteering is a blast.

johnmaas said...

Track work....
Embrace the pukey feeling!
Glad to hear you got the sub-9 mile!
See you soon in MN.
John