Monday, January 10, 2011

Atlanta FatAss 50K Report

I have found another favorite place to run thanks to GUTS. Yesterday they had their annual FatAss 50K at Sweetwater State Park just west of Atlanta. I had always been wary of running there because I had seen pictures of the SweetH2O that GUTS puts on with its famous creek crossing and had the mistaken impression that you couldn't run in the park without crossing the creek. So, it was with great trepidation I signed up for this event, and boy am I glad I did.

The day started out very cold (temperature was below 20 at the start) and didn't warm up much past freezing. I layered three layers planning to undress as the day warmed up, but ended up running the entire 50K with all three layers. The only thing I ended up removing was my gloves. After meeting several running friends, Kena kicked us out of the warm building and sent us on our way.

The course consisted of six 5.4 mile loops (yes, if you multiply 6 x 5.4 you get more than 31 miles). Most was on runnable single track and there were some rooty sections that were good training for Rocky Raccoon next month. There were no water crossings, a little bit of boulder climbing, some stairs that we went down, and one long 300' climb. It was fun seeing and talking to the other hardy runners out there. GUTS also provided a fully stocked aid station and there was chili, macaroni and cheese, cornbread, and cake. Probably the best run FatAss race out there and free to GUTS members for a measly $15 annual membership fee.

I ran this as a training run for Rocky Raccoon in four weeks so my goals were to get some time on feet, not get injured, and have fun. I accomplished all of my goals and ended up finishing DFL, but in my defense there were a lot of Half Ass runners out there. As I came into the aid station after my fifth lap, the RD informed me that she was sending the sweeps out after I left for my final lap. I introduced myself to the sweeps and I was out of there. I think my last lap was the second fastest of the day and I got a taste of how front runners must feel. Although I never saw or heard them, I was always looking back, making sure I was maintaining my lead. I finished in a respectable for me 8:40. As I crossed the finish line, Sarah was there to take my picture, unfortunately she missed it and made me run back 20 yards and finish again!

All in all a fun day in the park, I'll be back again next year.

The creek crossing we did NOT do

Trail along Sweetwater Creek

Some of the Rocky Raccoon practice roots


Sarah's third try of taking my finish line photo

5 comments:

Georgia Snail said...

Congrats on a great run! I love Sweetwater Creek S.P....

You should totally run SweetH20 50k, the creek crossing is not as hard as the photo may seem!

Karen said...

Sounds like fun! I have heard of that race but have never had a chance (or the guts...) to do it :) I bet it was cold out there yesterday. You are awesome!

Jessica said...

Great job as usual. Glad you are back!

Laura said...

Ha, my mom always takes a few tries with the small race finish photo to :) Nice job!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

other than the stream crossing, that actually looks a lot like RR. BTW, what did you mean, "looks like whining works?"