Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Recovery

Sorry folks on the waitlist for Way Too Cool, the odds of me making it to the start just increased to about 75%.

After Rocky Raccoon, I took a week off. I didn't run, I didn't bike, I didn't elliptical. I walked very slowly. Then I started doing some easy biking and ellipticaling (I just made up that word). Finally, 12 days after Rocky, I ran a whopping 10 minutes. I gradually increased that and the last couple of days I was able to run for an hour on the hotel treadmill. Obviously I didn't have a stress fracture, more than likely it was a deep muscle and/or bone bruise.

Then today I went on a wonderful ten mile trail run at Sweetwater State Park. I felt kind of stiff the first two to three miles, but gradually the stiffness went away and I was able to run normally. In fact, the second five miles was faster than the first five miles by about four minutes. I have lost some fitness during my time off though as my heart rate got higher than I'd like the last three miles.

I was very happy with what I was able to do today. If I can manage a 20 miler next week with no pain and at the same pace, I'll be on my Way Too Cool!

4 comments:

RunningLaur said...

Hooray hooray hooray!!

Evolving Through Running said...

Excellent news! Was stressed about the possible stress fracture. The fitness will come back quickly.

Georgia Snail said...

awesome, that is great news....Sweetwater Creek has healing abilities...

James said...

Great job!