Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon Rant

Yesterday I got an invitation to pay $140 to run the Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon in December. If you look at the times though, you see that they shortened the cutoff time from the 5:30 they had last year. This year the cutoff time is 4 hours and 30 minutes. My fastest marathon time is 4:58. In just eight short years, 4:30 will be my Boston Marathon Qualifying time. If they had used this cutoff time last year, 47% of last year's finishers would not have finished. Never mind that half of the course is run through the industrial park section of town with lots of boring out and back sections. Oh, and I almost forgot, this quote is from the website: "The marathon and half marathon courses are as flat and festive as they come – perfect for runners and walkers of all ability levels."

I think I'll decline this invitation.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Wow - that is a pretty short cut off. I am not a BQ runner but am a solid mid-pack and would be nervous signing up for that one. I most likely would not get swept but it would be too close for comfort! BTW, if you are looking at other RnR events, they are $26 off today.

Julie D said...

And the half is $130... at the early price. Wow. I did the full a few years ago and hit 4:20, but I wouldn't count on that because I am kind of inconsistent with my times.

Anonymous said...

Come join all the cool people (and me) in Sacramento instead - California International Marathon!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

My best marathon time is 4:47, which I owe to being completely flat and at sea level (thank you, Wisconsin). That is just under an eleven minute pace. Do the organisers there really think that someone can WALK a sub-eleven minute pace? It's clear that they are steering people to the half because, after all, people who are in las Vegas doing healthy things are just a big drag when they stop traffic. (did you also see that it's on a sunday NIGHT?)

Cory Reese said...

I didn't know they had that cutoff. That's nuts.