Monday, November 2, 2009

Thinking Out Loud

I took a glance at my goals for this year a couple of days ago and was surprised to see that I've accomplished very few of them. My running has taken on a whole new direction and one that I'm very happy about. Instead of setting PR's in the 5K and 10K (I haven't run any 10Ks and only one 5K) I've joined the darkside. There is no way I imagined I would be running 5 ultras in one year.

So, this got me thinking about next year. I'm going to type this out loud. I'm thinking of running 100 miles. ONE HUNDRED MILES. Not in a month, not even in a week, but in a little more than a day.

I've come up with a very preliminary route to get there. I'll be running the 50 mile option at Umstead in March. Then maybe the 24 hour FANS run in Minnesota in June. If I'm able to get in 70-80 miles without killing myself, I'll look for an "easy" 100 mile race for my debut. I definitely want to pick one out while I'm NOT drinking wine. So, I'm looking at races between August and October. Lean Horse is one of the options, as is the Javelina Jundred (although I noticed a 50% DNF rate at that one).

If anyone has any other ideas, please leave them in the comments.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Wow. An ultra is impressive enough, but a 100 miler? Super-duper impressive!

David Ray said...

Pinhoti.

There you go.

JojaJogger said...

Jess, don't be impressed yet, I'm only in the thinking out loud stage.

David, have you looked at the profile of Pinhoti? I'd need to be drinking wine to sign up for that one as my first one ;)

S. Baboo said...

Tight head prop...good for you.

Don't know if you have this link but it lists all the North American 100s plus a lot of other stuff. http://www.run100s.com/

Javelina is probably a harder course than Lean Horse but then again this year at Lean Horse it got blazing hot and there was a higher than usual DNF rate.

I believe, and Misty saw, that the high DNF rate at Javelina is due to a lot of people either going in specifically to run 4 laps and get the 100K buckle or people giving in to feelings of discouragement and opting out for the 100K.

Anyway, welcome to the dark side!