Saturday, December 12, 2009

What Was That?

Either I ate something bad, or I had a some sort of stomach flu bug. Last night I woke up at 2:30 AM feeling terrible. I was drenched in a cold sweat, my stomach hurt, I was nauseous, and my bed was spinning like I had a three martini midnight snack. I managed to stagger to the bathroom where I spent about 30 minutes, and made it back to bed. This morning I was feeling better, but it was obvious my planned long run was not going to happen today. But then I got to thinking. I've read a lot of 100 mile race reports and talked to a couple of 100 mile veterans. There will be a 99.9% chance that at some time during my 100 mile run attempt next year, something will go wrong. It may be blisters, it may be muscle cramps, it may be fatigue, it may be nausea, but at some point, I'll have to make myself continue when either my mind or body is telling me to quit. So, I decided today would be a perfect time to make myself run while not feeling 100%. The run totally sucked, but I did it. My pace was slower than my slow run pace while my heartrate was faster than my tempo heartrate. However, I managed to slog 4.11 miles in 50 minutes. I'd like to report that the run made me feel better, it didn't, but at least it didn't make me feel any worse. Tomorrow, the long run is back on the schedule.

2 comments:

David Ray said...

Hmmmmmm, I think you're tougher than me on that one. :) I hope the long run goes better!

Jess said...

Yucky! Hope you're back to 100% now!