Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Recovery

Recovery has been going very well. To tell you the truth, I have felt worse after some 50Ks than I did after Burning River. My weekly mileages post 100 miler were: 30.6, 13.6 (going to Vegas for three days probably had something to do with the low mileage that week), 41.1, and 50.3 miles last week. On Labor Day I'm going to do a marathon "fun run" with the running cult I belong to. This event is so low key that it is negative key, just a bunch of crazy ultra runners getting together to run 26.2 miles just because. I'm planning on getting my mileage back to 60-70 miles per week in September in preparation for the Javelina Jundred in October.

I am also trying to acquire a taste for HEED. I have found that a lot of ultra events serve this beverage instead of Gatorade so I figure I should get used to it. It is definitely an acquired taste. During my run today I finally came up with a description of the lemon-lime flavor. Find an extremely dusty shelf, spray it with lemon Pledge, dust with a rag, put the rag in a bottle of water, shake, then drink.

I think something that tastes that bad should improve my times by at least a minute per mile.

4 comments:

Andrew Opala said...

never tried the stuff ... can you describe whether you get a twitch afterwards? I always twitch after pledge!

Kelly said...

I haven' tried that... but I've had the Recoverite, and it was pretty nasty. Chalky.

Jess said...

Yuck. I've heard of HEED but have never tried it.

SteveQ said...

There's different flavors of HEED. Usually you get the lemon-lime stuff, but there's a berry flavored version that's not half bad. I can't seem to wash the smell of the lemon-lime out of my water bottles and it's nauseating even weeks later.