Monday, November 10, 2008

Critical Juncture?

I am now at the point where previous attempts at training for a marathon have run into snags. Hopefully I will continue to be injury free for another two months and run my very first marathon. I almost thought I might be having a problem this week. My last long run was last Sunday, and I ran over 15 miles, my longest run ever. The run itself went very well. However, when I ran the next day, my hamstring got really sore the last mile or so of my run. The day after that, I had to stop my run after only 3 miles or so. It felt worse than a sore muscle, but not as bad as a pulled muscle. I took the next day off, and the day after that I ran 10 miles outside. The hamstring was tight the whole run, but not really painful, but afterwards, it started hurting. I iced it and the next day I used some IcyHot before my run, and everything seemed fine. Then on Saturday I ran with absolutely no pain, but cut the run short because my heartrate was way up. I've just finished my long run for the week, and all initial indications are good. I ran over 15 miles again with no major aches or pains and my hamstring gave me no problems. I've only got one more week of increasing my short and medium run times to 1 and 2 hours. I'll try to maintain that for the next two months, while increasing my long run from 3 hours to one or two 20 mile runs before the marathon. Hopefully I won't burn out either mentally or physically this time.

Monday - 5.79 miles on treadmill in 1:08

Tuesday - 3.31 miles on treadmill in 40:00 (for some reason hamstring felt really tight)
Weight Training

Wednesday - Rest Day

Thursday - 10.4 miles in 1:56 around cemetery in Flint, MI (wearing shorts and short sleeves in November, no less!)

Friday - 5.87 miles on treadmill in 1:08
Included 4 x 5 minutes @ 6.0 mph

Saturday - 7.5 miles on treadmill in 1:30 (I cut the planned run short by 30 minutes, why do hotels think 80 degrees is a good temperature for the fitness center?)

Sunday - Off day

Monday - 15.32 miles on Peachtree City golfcart paths in 2:54

1 comment:

johnmaas said...

Sounds like you are doing great with your training.
You are getting in plenty of miles to complete a marathon successfully.
Perhaps you might want to back down your short and medium runs when you start cranking up the time/miles on your long run. It sure doesn't hurt to have a rest/very light day before and after the long run.
I don't want to see you burn yourself out before the actual marathon.