Monday, November 24, 2008

I've Joined a Cult!

Peachtree City has a large and active running club and I joined. On Saturday I participated in my first club event. Besides the weekly fun runs on Saturday and long runs on Sunday, once a month they have a club event that everyone has a chance of winning. This week it was a handicap run. You emailed the guy running the event your predicted time, and based on that, you were given a start time so that theoretically everyone would cross the finish line at 9 AM. No one could wear a watch or MP3 player or anything else that could be used to pace yourself. Also, anyone that crossed the line before 9 AM was disqualified; so the object was to cross the finish line at or after 9 AM. The temperature when I woke up Saturday morning was SIXTEEN degrees, and that was farenheit not celsius! I figured with the temperature being that cold in Joja that maybe 5-10 people would show up. Was I surprised, there were about 40 runners that showed. It took awhile to get warmed up and running well, but I was dressed appropriately and the temperature wasn't that bad. At about 3 miles people started zipping past me, I knew my pace was a little slow, but not that far off my prediction. Sure enough, over half the runners were disqualified for finishing before 9 AM. I really had a fun time, and look forward to more club events.

Tuesday - 5.71 miles on treadmill in 1:10

Wednesday - 4.04 miles on treadmill in :50

Saturday - 10K in 1:07 (still waiting for official time)

Sunday - 5.78 miles on treadmill in 1:10

Monday - 14.13 miles on treadmill in 3:00
For some reason I seem to be getting slower and slower. The good news is that I have absolutely no aches or pains. So things look like they are still on track. Next week an 18 mile long run!

No comments: