Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two Ultras in Three Weeks Aftermath

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim
--Jim Croce

In writing this, I feel like I might be doing all four of the above. I'm feeling surprisingly good after running my very first ultra three weeks ago, and then running my second one this last weekend and I don't want to jinx myself by telling you guys this. I took Sunday off as a rest day, then ran 4 miles yesterday and just finished 8 miles today at my marathon pace. I only had one small blister after my eight hours on Sunday, but I did have chafing in an area I never experienced it before...between my butt cheeks! What an annoying place to chafe. Oh well, another place for the Body Glide. Except I think I'll use Vaseline there.

I signed up to run Grandma's Marathon in Duluth next month. My brother and sister-in-law are going to be running it and it will also be a chance to visit with my parents for a couple of days. My brother has been training extremely hard in an attempt to run a sub-three hour marathon. Looking at his training, he should have a good shot at it if the weather cooperates.

I have no idea what kind of time to shoot for. Right now I'm thinking of running with the 5:00 pace group, but all I'm really hoping for is to finish ahead of the mop-up wagons and before they run out of beer.

My training plan for the next couple of weeks is to do 30-40 miles/week with a long run of 15 miles or three hours (whichever comes first) this week and a long run of 20 miles or four hours next week.

Oh, and I just discovered that if I do complete Grandma's, I'll meet the criteria to be a Marathon Maniac. Who knew?

5 comments:

David Ray said...

Nice. You're holding up well and running smart.

Desitin is my drug of choice for the chafe issue down under. Yep, diaper rash ointment. Better than vaseline. I use it for any run longer than 3 hours.

Kelly said...

Sub 3-marathon. Crazy! Good luck to both of you!

Michael Day said...

wow, the things you can learn about a person on a blog! I have chafed there as well :-) Great job on the ultras...

johnmaas said...

Wow,
You're back in the saddle pretty fast there, sis!
And the butt cheeks are the only sore part....LOL.
Sounds like a good plan to maintain your mileage base and get ready for Grandma's in a short time. Maniac status - who woulda thunk!?!
Stay healthy - that's the big key.
John

Jessica said...

yay! We can be maniacs together!!