Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Name Change?

This morning I did my very first ever interval workout on the track. I have done intervals on the treadmill, but this is the first time I've done this on a 400 meter track. Its a little bit harder maintaining a steady pace without a giant rubber band forcing you to keep its pace.

I set my alarm so I could be out at the track before it got too hot. I managed to get out there at 7:00 AM and there were eleven other runners out there! Most of them had gotten up even earlier than me and all but a few were finished before I even completed my 1.5 mile warmup.

I have recruited my brother (Mr Sub Three Hour Man, or MSTHM for short) to be my coach, and he assigned me 8 x 400 at a 2:21 per interval with a 60-90 second recovery. My plan was to shoot for 2:15 to 2:21. After my 6 lap warmup at a 12:00 min/mile pace, I started my intervals. If I do say so myself, I think they went very well. Here are the times for the eight intervals.

2:14.00 Avg HR 152
2:15.32 149
2:13.90 151
2:13.72 152
2:12.75 154
2:14.55 154
2:14.41 155
2:02.73 160

My brother told me that consistency is the key, and I think I did very well on that, but I did kick it up a notch on the last one. Overall, I'm giving myself an A on my first interval session. I finished up with a little over 4 miles at an 11:45/mile pace.

If I keep this up, I may have to change my name from Jogger to Runner!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Great job, nice splits...easier said than done....and I agree with you about the heat. I am running in about 90 degrees daily and even approaching my regular pace requires at least 25% more effort. Ugh!

Kelly said...

Great job on the intervals! I miss running on a track (from my old high school track days). Problem is, none of the tracks around here are open to the public. Booo.

David Ray said...

Definitely get an A. And go ahead and change the name. Runner you are.

Jess said...

Nice job!

johnmaas said...

You did great on the intervals. I guess the coach may have to make it a little more difficult next time....
I don't care what speed anyone goes, we are all runners.
John

Ms. V. said...

That's fantastic. I can't imagine doing intervals on a Treadmill! Good for you!