Saturday, July 18, 2009

RIP Mr Garmin

My Garmin Forerunner 305 decided to die this week. I've perused the internet and called technical support and he is morally, ethically, spiritually, physically, positively, absolutely, undeniably, and reliably DEAD. (Yes, I called the Munchkin Coroner to make sure) I had two options - since it was out of warranty, I could send it in and for $79, Garmin would either fix it or send me a refurbished one. The other option was to buy a new 310XT that is waterproof, lasts up to 20 hours between charges, picks up satellites faster, and looks cooler. Guess what option I picked? That's right, a brand new Garmin 310XT will be on my wrist probably by Friday. I ordered it from Amazon.com, got free shipping and I don't have to pay sales tax. I'll let you guys know how much I love it as soon as I take it on a test run or two.

As far as training goes, its been going very well. I really like my coach, even though I think he's a little too easy on me, but I'm sure things will pick up as I get closer to my goal race in January. Today I ran 4 hours, and I ran between 10 AM and 2 PM in hopes of getting in some heat acclimation in preparation for the Hot To Trot 8 Hour run in two weeks. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. It only got up to 80 degrees by the end of the run and the dew point was in the low 60s. Certainly not an ordinary July day in Joja. Next week I hit the track again for another speed workout.

3 comments:

David Ray said...

The 305 is dead, long live the 310! Looking forward to a review of that one.

Good job on the 4 hour run today. Maybe we'll have this weather at HTT. :)

Jess said...

I thought my 205 had died once, but I resuscitated it by holding down the power and lap button at the same time for about 30 seconds, then hitting power. It's a magic re-start on that model.

JojaJogger said...

Thanks Jess, I tried that and several other things. Basically the battery won't take a charge anymore. It'll turn on if its plugged into my laptop, but the battery won't charge. I guess I could run while carrying my laptop ;)