Friday, August 21, 2009

What Did I Do Now?

I have read in other people's blogs about signing up for races after having a few adult beverages and I never thought it would happen to me. Well, never say never. I had a very long and tiring work week and was relaxing with some wine. Then I started catching up on some blogs and saw that veteran ultra runner Susan Donnelly was going to be race directing the inaugural Cumberland Trail 50K in Tennessee. I remember thinking, wow, that looks to be challenging, maybe I should sign up and run that. The next thing I knew, I was clicking on the "submit" button and I was entered!

Now in the light of day, I'm looking at more of the details. The course description contains words like rock staircase, switchbacks, 1900' climb, and stream crossing. What have I gotten myself into? I'm going to plan to "run" this as more of a power hike outing with occasional bits of running, unlike my previous ultras which were running interspersed with walk breaks. There is a time limit of 10 hours, which I should be able to do.

Now I'm off to run some hills to get in shape!

6 comments:

susandonnelly said...

Lol! Wine and Active.com are a dangerous combo. My friends all joke about that too. We'll take good care of you - let me know in the meantime if you have any questions. I want you to be successful!

COTY said...

you can do it :O)

Jessica said...

sounds like fun! Cheers!!

Jess said...

Ha! I too have fallen victim to this combo in the past!

Kelly said...

Always a good decision to sign up for races with wine in your hand! Good luck!

David Ray said...

Way to jump in with both feet! That one is the day before Mystery Mountain so I don't think I'll make it this year.