Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goals for 2009

2008 was a very good year, I restarted running regularly again after a 1-2 year period of sporadic running, I logged a total of 1669 miles, I ran 5K, 10K, 15K, and Half-Marathon races, I joined a running club, I successfully trained for a marathon, and I lost over 20 pounds from my embarrassing all time high weight.

Now for my 2009 goals:

Run the marathon that I trained for and finish it strong enough that I want to run another one.

Train for and run a second marathon.

Log at least 2000 miles.

Run a sub 30 minute 5K.

Run a sub 60 minute 10K.

Earn a PTCRC 1000 mile jacket. (you have to do more than just run 1000 miles during the year, you have to attend club meetings and volunteer at races)

Stay injury free.

Lose 10 pounds.

Hopefully I will accomplish all of these goals and 2009 will be even better than 2008!

1 comment:

johnmaas said...

Sounds like you are ready to go for RNR AZ!!
I read your last few posts, and am proud of how you got through this training phase. You will do great!
I agree that a sub-5:00 goal is about right. Perhaps you will run with a pace team (gotta get a little advertising in).
You mentioned on the prior post about anaerobic threshold. I believe at 172 HR that you are way above it already. The feeling you descibe sounds more like approaching max HR...just my opinion. Your numbers on HR ranges are very similar to mine, you'd think we were related :)
My aerobic range is under 145, anaerobic threshold is about 170, and max HR is 190. I can run a marathon averaging 165, peaking at 170 at the end. Short races like 5K and 10K average is about 170.
Just be careful not to push hard anytime in the first 16 miles.
Your legs will need every bit of energy you can muster up in the final 4 miles!!
Good luck!!
John