Tuesday, December 16, 2008

20 mile run - check

I did it, the oft recommended, prescribed, written about, and experienced, 20 mile pre-marathon training run. I had every intention of running it outside, but a look at the forecast and radar showed that there was a very good chance of being stopped by a thunderstorm. So, the dreadmill it was. I tried to treat it as much like I'm planning to run the marathon as I could. I went to the marathon website and found out where all the water and sports drinks stations were and wrote the mileages on a card. Since I'm planning to walk as I drink, I walked 10-15 seconds as I drank on this training run. The run went very well, the only problem I had were two blisters on the bottom of my right foot at about the 15 mile point. By the end of the run it felt like they were covering about half my foot, but of course they were much smaller. One about the size of a quarter and the other very very small. Overall it was a good experience, and gave me confidence that I will be able to complete my first marathon in 33 days.

Training this week:

Friday - 10 miles in 1:51:10 on PTC golfcart paths

Saturday - 3.5 miles in 40 minutes on treadmill. 5 min walking at 3.5 mph, 5 min jogging at 5.2 mph, 2 miles at 6.2 mph, 5+ min jogging at 5.2 mph, 5 min walking at 3.5 mph. Maybe after my marathon, I'll train for and finally run a sub 1 hour 10k?

Sunday - 60 minutes on elliptical while hotel maintenance fixed the treadmill, then 5.1 miles in one hour on treadmill

Monday - 3.13 miles on treadmill in 40 minutes

Tuesday - TWENTY miles on treadmill in 3:58:43

1 comment:

johnmaas said...

Way to go on the 20 miler!
I hope those blisters have healed up quickly.
Mary is going to run 18 this weekend, as she did 21 last Sunday.
I'll do a long run this weekend, haven't figured out when I will do it yet.
Your training is looking excellent!
John