Sunday, December 28, 2008

Anaerobic Theshold?

During my "speed" workout (for me, speed is a relative term) I think I discovered my anaerobic threshold. During my my fourth interval at increasing speeds, my heartrate was sustained above 170. I also noticed that my legs started feeling heavy. From my research on the web, I think that this means that my anaerobic threshold is a heartrate just above 170, like about 172. With my first marathon less than three weeks away, I'm not going to get crazy with intervals, but after my marathon recovery, I plan on pushing myself outside my comfort zone and work for faster running times.

Wednesday - 5.49 miles on treadmill in 1:05.

Friday - 3.33 miles on treadmill in 40 minutes.

Saturday - 4.29 miles on treadmill in 50 minutes. Attempted "pyramid" intervals. 0.25 miles @ 6.2, 6.4, 6.6, 6.8, 6.6, 6.4, 6.2 mph. Had to quit after the first 5.

Sunday - 11 miles on treadmill in 2:10.

Tuesday is my last 20 mile run (20.2) before the marathon. I've checked the weather forecast and it looks ideal for an outside run, just about the exact conditions I expect to encounter at Phoenix. Like last time, I plan to make it a dress rehearsal, walking and drinking at the same mileages as the marathon, and stopping to change my socks at about the halfway point. Hopefully this will keep me from running the last 5 miles with blisters like I did on my last 20 miler.

No comments: