Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Spirit of the Marathon

I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" this week and really enjoyed it. Its a documentary that follows marathoners through their training and then the running of the Chicago marathon. I like that it showed a wide range of runners, from elite athletes like Deena Kastor, to BQ hopefuls, to back of the pack first-timers like me. A couple of places seemed a little disjointed to me, but overall it was an excellent documentary. I plan on watching it again before the marathon.

This weeks training:

Thursday - 8.23 miles in 1:29:24 on PTC golfcart paths. Planned for 10, but didn't want to make blister from 20 miler worse.

Saturday - 5.74 miles in 1:05 on treadmill. Included 5 x .5 miles @ 6.2 mph.

Sunday - 4.8 miles in 57:26 on treadmill. Had planned on doing 10, but I was running late and needed to get to work.

Monday - 5.93 miles on treadmill in 1:10.

Tuesday - 15 miles on PTC golfcart paths in 2:45:48. This was one minute slower than my time two weeks ago, but this included a stop to change socks in an effort to avoid blisters.

Next week: Last 20 miler before the marathon. Actually I'm planning on running 20.2 miles since in the movie, Deena Kastor says that its the last .2 that are the worst.

No comments: